Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Demon Prince

Below are some first stage and last stage pictures of my new plastic Demon Prince. It was a great miniature to work with. I think the finished mini looks great too.



The skin was really just an experiment. In the picture above, I have yet to complete the skin but you can see that it involves a mess of colors. Going from a dark red (Blood Red and Scorched Brown) to a bright orange. I would say that I put nearly eight shades of red into the skin. I also washed certain areas of the miniature with Badab Black and Devlan Mud to bring out the raised areas and to also meld the different shades together. Since it was an experiment there was really no way I could recreate it in text form. Basically, Start with an extremely dark red and continue to layer on brighter reds. Scab Red to Red Gore to Blood Red to line highlights of blazing orange. Do not hesitate to drop some Devlan Mud in areas that are too bright also. The skin should look alive so try to avoid displaying one single tone of color throughout.



This picture just shows another angel of the Prince after my first stage of painting. You can see there is still an enormous amount of work to be done.



So here is a top down view of the Demon Prince at completion. The sword was actually the most difficult part of the model to get right, and I fear it still does not look perfect. Basically, I layered several shades of red. Then I placed some Blazing Orange at the top of the sword moving into the center of the sword. Finally, I highlighted the tip of the sword with Sunburst Yellow. I used the same technique for the inverted areas of the Prince's shoulder pads.





Overall I think the miniature will look great on the table. I also feel like I learned some new techniques that will most certainly help me paint miniature's of this size in the future. Next up: Imperial Guard Manticore!

No comments:

Post a Comment